Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Harvard University



Last Friday, I visited Harvard University which is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States.


Harvard University is located in Cambridge. The main campus is centered on Harvard Yard in central Cambridge and extends into the surrounding Harvard Square neighborhood. All of the schools of Harvard University are very famous. Many famous people graduated from Harvard including some Chinese preeminent writers, educators and revolutionists. Furthermore, eight presidents of the United States were graduates of Harvard.


When I walked on campus of Harvard University, old and classical buildings attracted me. There was a strong learning atmosphere on campus. The most impressive place to me was the Harvard University Library. The building of Harvard University Library was huge and grand. It was the fifth largest collection in the world. I hope that I can have another chance to go into later. Moreover, I visited the bronze sculpture of John Harvard. John Harvard was an English pastor and first benefactor of the college that was named Harvard College in his honor. And I touched his shoes. It is said that touching his shoes would bring good luck in learning.


When I was a little girl, I had heard Harvard University. It was the first foreign university that I heard. Harvard University is influential to the United States and the whole world. Although it was very hot last Friday, I really enjoyed the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment