Monday, July 19, 2010

Harvard University

This is my second trip to Harvard, and it seems a little different. I don't know whether it is the hot weather or something else makes my heart beat faster.


Last time I went to Harvard, I walked around the campus, and saw many buildings such as the Science Center, the Memorial Hall and the area of the famous law school. I am not excited at that time. However, I visited Harvard with awe because this time I noticed that it is the most famous university in the world which is the dream of millions of students. I just listened to every word of the tour guide without exploring more by myself. Maybe because we learned Walker Percy's "The loss of the Creature" in college writing class this week, I really feel that I am in the "symbolic complex" which blocks students' sovereignty.


However, I am not saying that this trip is not useful. I know a lot of history through the introduction of the Harvard student. I just feel that I am idolizing the university, and it may block me from seeing the real university. I suppose that students who study in Harvard will have different feelings toward the university. They feel in the way that we perceive our familiar elementary school, and high school. I hope that I can someday find something new and belong to our own in the famous university.

1 comment:

  1. I think so, when people feel that others are better than themselves, from their inner heart, the distorted heart will produce envy. But actually, it is formal and nothing. Hahaaaa................

    ReplyDelete