Monday, June 21, 2010

my third week in Boston



This is my third week in Boston. I’m used to living here. The city is not strange for me anymore. People living in Boston are very enthusiastic about life; there is no so-called discrimination and distain. Here I made new friends, feel warmly, although sometimes still homesick.



We enjoyed the Freedom Trail on Friday. This is a 2.5 mile red-brick walking trail with rich history of American’s revolution. There are 16 nationally significant sites. Each attraction seems to tell a historical story. Walking in the street, the trail takes us into several historical sites within two or three hours. Although we didn’t finish the trip because the short time and high temperature, we were still shocked by the picturesque scenery and rich historical allusions.



Our professor told us to make presentations in each scenic spots. Helen and I gave the introduction in the Granary Burying Ground. The granary is the third oldest burying ground in the Boston proper and it is established in 1660. It is said there are almost 8000 people buried here but only has 2345 markers. In 1737, when grain was stored here, the burying ground was renamed the Granary. If you are bravely to look at these tombstones closer, you would find there are many graven images because puritan churches did not believe in religious icons or imagery, so ancient people used tombstones as symbolizes for artistic expression of their beliefs about the afterlife. They were full of mysteries but I still didn’t dare to take photos, maybe I was afraid to disturb these ghosts.



Our trip stopped in a place where many shops are. A red brick or painted line which connects the sites on the Trail also stopped here. It is a really nice trip and gave me a deep impression. Boston can be a world-famous city not only for its prosperity but also its deep-rooted culture. After trip, I went shopping with my friends. It was really a wonderful time for us. I think this is the nature of girls. Hahahaha…..

2 comments:

  1. Good article about this trip, it presents us a deep impression about the Freedom Trail, the pictures are also excellent!

    ReplyDelete